This page details the Devil liminal race, for the Devil personality archetype featured in Monster Musume: Everyday Life with Monster Girls Online; see Monster Musume Online Character List.
The Devils (デビル Debiru?), known simply as the "Devil Race" (デビル系他種族 Debiru-kei Tashuzoku?, "Devil Race") and also called "Succubi", are a humanoid liminal race that sports tanned skin, horns, black sclera, bat-like wings, and tails that end in spade-like points. As a race, Devils are highly variable with such things as wing size, wing strength, horn size, horn count, tail shape, and even possibly physiological body type.
Culture[edit | edit source]
Mischievous by nature, Devils seem to find the suffering and frustration of others to be hilarious and will actively attempt to cause drama or trouble for their own entertainment.
They are masters of forming contractual partnerships and arrangements with other beings that give themselves as many loopholes to exploit as possible, while bringing those for the other party down to zero.
Devil culture is ruled by a race-based hierarchy (Lesser Devil, Greater Devil, Elder Devil, etc); the higher up the devil is in the hierarchy, the more powerful the devil is. Devils can only be promoted and demoted within their race by their direct superiors, so it is not possible for rival devils to demote all of their rivals' servants or promote themselves to increase in power.
If a devil turns out to be clever, powerful, deceitful, lucky and sycophantic enough they may be promoted. If a subject however fails its master, is betrayed in some way or if the master otherwise requires it, a devil can be demoted back into a lesser form - which is a great humiliation for a devil.
A theory exists that devils can actually "evolve" into higher or lower devil races through a ritual that grows a miniature fetal version of their new form inside their body, which would eventually burst out of the old body in a grotesque and agonizing display of energy. This ritual is said to require a large amount of energy and that the energy is gathered from the life energy of other beings. If an "energy drought" of sorts were to befall an area, high-ranking devils would be more stringent with their promotions or even demote their followers and harvest the energy their transformation releases to relocate elsewhere: this is said to be a powerful motivator for all devils to keep corrupting souls and harvesting energy.
Physiological Attributes[edit | edit source]
- A devil's horn shape is inherited, as well as the number of said horns. Normally, Devils possess one or two horns, but there have been individuals who have four horns.
- However, Devils often get their horns become smaller via surgical means, as the horns can become problematic and interfering with daily life.
- Devils are among the few species that are said to employ magic, with some skilled in psychic abilities such as hypnosis, which is how Devils typically sow discord, though this form of meddling is in conflict with the restriction of liminals harming humans.
- A Devil's ears are capable of direction-focused hearing and are employed mainly for the purposes of extremely effective eavesdropping to make their mayhem more precise.
- It is currently unknown for what purpose Devils use their tails for.
- Because a fully-grown Devil's body stops developing at a certain point, it is common to find out Devils are much older than what their bodies look like.
Subspecies[edit | edit source]
Lesser Devil[edit | edit source]
Lesser Devils (レッサーデビル Ressā Debiru?) are devils that have the bodies of humans in their childhood. Lesser Devils have small wings and bodies that are comparable with children, even though Lesser Devils can be fully grown in actuality. Lesser Devils usually use their petite bodies to get away with affording things at children admissions rates.
Greater Devil[edit | edit source]
Greater Devils (グレーターデビル Gurētā Debiru?) are devils that have the bodies of humans in their late teens. Despite the name, Greater Devils are not matured Lesser Devils, but rather their own Devil class. They enjoy dressing in human fashion and venturing into the city at night to play rather malicious pranks.
However, because their actual age is much greater than their apparent age, much like Lesser Devils, they can be out of touch with fashion trends popular among younger people.
Elder Devil[edit | edit source]
Elder Devils (エルダーデビル Erudā Debiru?) are devils that have the bodies of humans in their adulthood. Appearing even older than Greater Devils, they are the voluptuous/highest class of Devil, and boasts the largest average wingspan.
Though it's unclear if it's because of their older apparent age, Elder Devils have the longest lifespans of all Devil species, and it's not uncommon for members to live several centuries. It might have to do with the their extremely long lifespans, but Elder Devils are quite calm and composed, and are beyond playing pranks.
Succubus[edit | edit source]
Succubi are a devil subspecies that can be similar in appearance to Lesser, Greater or Elder Devils but lack devil horns, posses a Womb Tattoo-like marking on their lower stomach, and possess a prominent interest in sex and all things sexual.
Religious traditions in human culture hold that Succubi live by sustaining themselves on “life energy" stolen through sexual intercourse and that repeated sexual activity with a Succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even death. While whether this is true or not is unknown, Succubi culture is entirely rooted around the act of sexual intercourse; with the desire for sex, fornication and pleasure forming the basis of their cultural thinking and moral values, and as a result they are an extremely lustful and openly lascivious race. Not only are they physically beautiful, everything from their gestures to their voices will charm an individual and inflame lust. Their techniques for seducing and pleasing men and women alike are highly valued and are in some ways more effective than raw fighting abilities.
Baphomet[edit | edit source]
Baphomets are a demihuman species with goat-like attributes in similar vein to Satyrs and Pan Fauns but with the addition of raven wings.
Closely linked with occultism or outright Satanism throughout history, since the 1800's the species has been associated as members of the Hierarchy of Hell and as such their image has been imprinted as the official symbol of the Church of Satan. Baphomets are always crossed with pentagrams.
Members[edit | edit source]
In the Manga[edit | edit source]
- Lilith (Lesser Devil)
In the Game[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The term "Fiend" is a catch-all name used to collectively refer in a nondiscriminatory way to Demons, Devils or Daemons as a whole, and the sub-varieties of each of those races.
- Medieval Christian tradition use Devils and Succubi as an explanation for morning wood, wet dreams and unexplained pregnancies as it was believed that Devils and, particularly, Succubi visited people in the middle of the night to have sex with them. Additional sleep related ailments such as sleep paralysis and restless sleep were also attributed to Devil/Succubi visits.
- Cambions are a race of half-devils (half-fiends) born when a male devil mates with a human female. Similarly, Alu-Fiend's are an all-female race of half-devils born from a human male and a Succubus. A Tiefling, is a descendant of either a Cambion or an Alu-Fiend.