A Ghost or Spirit is the soul or spirit of a deceased being that no longer has a physical body to "occupy" but is still present in the living world for varying reasons.
Able to alter their visibility and shape depending on how powerful they are, ghosts are reportedly able to display abilities that otherwise negate the laws of time and physics. They are most notably able to, depending on how strong they are, performing varying levels of telekinesis and take possession of other beings.
Reports of ghosts manifesting within human culture is widespread, dating back to pre-literate history. They are believed to tend towards occupying particular locations, objects, or people they were associated with in life.
A Ghost is the spirit of a deceased person that, for some reason or another, was unable to pass on to the next life, or whose rest had been disturbed. Ghosts are neither good nor evil, as their behavior is ultimately dictated by who they were in life and how they died. Normally, a Ghost will start out confused and disoriented before realizing they are dead. In some cases, the trauma of sudden death can be so great that a Ghost will think that they are still alive and continue in a routine from their lives, oblivious to the fact they are dead.
- Electromagnetic Interference - All ghosts disrupt nearby electronics with their presence.
- Thermokinesis - Nearly all ghosts can lower or drop the surrounding temperature with their presence.
- Invisibility - Ghosts can remain invisible to the living, but they may appear as a blur or faint light. However, when they want, they can appear as they were in life though it takes a while to gain that level of strength. They appear in wispy, distorted, flickering forms.
- Telekinesis - They are able to move virtually anything with their minds if they have enough concentration on the objects. With practice, they can become stronger telekinetics, able to manipulate many simple objects at once. Very powerful ghosts are highly capable telekinetics, able to throw people like demons can.
- Teleportation - Ghosts can teleport (be able to move in the blink of an eye to other locations). They often display a flickering appearance when using this ability. They appear in wispy, distorted, flickering forms that allow them to move at great speed, as when they flicker, can end up either inches away each time they flicker or several feet or miles away.
- Intangibility - Without a body, these spirits are able to move without hindrance even if objects are in their way, as they can phase through them with ease. They are naturally intangible, as such they can phase through solid matter unfazed.
- Environment Manipulation - Most ghosts have shown to have the ability to manipulate the elements like wind, fire, electricity, water, and dropping temperature. Affinity to fire or water is usually because of the manner of a person's death and the ghost's origin. Manipulating electricity and dropping temperature are the two common signs that indicate a ghost's presence.
- Material Attachment - Ghosts could latch their essence to objects that have been very close to them in their life. Until these objects are destroyed, the ghost could continue to manifest itself and haunt. Other ghosts could relocate the objects, allowing them to move around and away from their original haunting location.
- Ectoplasm Creation - Very angry ghosts, can create Ectoplasm, but it is generally beyond the anger range of most spirits, even most violent spirits.
- Possession - A ghost can enter and take possession of the bodies of living beings.
- Mental Influence - Angry, vengeful ghosts or spirits can sometimes manipulate peoples minds and drive them crazy and can then manipulate the people they drove crazy to do their will.
- Reality Manipulation - Some powerful ghosts can bend the rules of reality to affect their environment; for example flipping rooms upside down to make people walk on the ceiling instead of the floor, creating never-ending corridors, or shunting people backwards and forwards through time.
- Voice Mimicry - Some powerful ghosts can perfectly imitate others' voices.
- EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) - A ghost ability, where they can communicate through electronic devices, cassette records, cell phones etc.
- Shapeshifting - Some ghosts have displayed the ability to alter their form, shifting between what they looked like when they were alive, and a more disturbing and decayed version of themselves.
- Flight - Ghosts are able to hover above the ground.
- Human-Ghost hybrids can be conceived when a ghost of any gender impregnates a living female being. This can be achieved through various methods, three of which include; the ghost entering the female being's uterus/ovaries and directly infecting a healthy ovum/egg with its energy until the ovum/egg becomes "fertilized" and starts growing to term like a normal pregnancy (as the egg is corrupted by their energy and not their genetic material, both male and female ghosts can perform this form of impregnation upon a female being)(this act is also known as an "Immaculate Conception")(alternatively, instead of instilling its energy into the ovum/egg, the ghost (male or female) may enter the ovum/egg with its own body instead to effectively resurrect itself in a new body)), the ghost can obtain or induce a temporary solid form during sex in order to ensure that their incorporeal reproductive cells can interact with their partner's corporeal reproductive cells (although this method is said to take a lot of energy for the ghost to perform, it is a commonly reported happenstance during spectral intercourse and to this end it is assumed that the ghost takes advantage of a biological body's increased heat/life energy production to drain their partner's body heat/life energy during sex to maintain this form long enough for impregnation to occur. Needless to say continued instances of this practice is dangerous for the living partner's health and can result in death), or the ghost (male or female) can take complete possession of a living male/hermaphrodite being's body and alter the body's genetic composition so that the male/hermaphrodite's penis and testicles produce sperm laced with the DNA of the possessing ghost instead of the DNA of the possessed male/hermaphrodite. Human-Ghost hybrids are said to possess considerable paranormal psychic powers due to their ghostly heritage.
- A female ghost can be impregnated by a living male partner if she chooses by retaining his semen within her womb and, instead of consuming it for sustenance, slowly manipulating the life energy the dying sperm releases to fertilize an ovum/egg. The resulting offspring will always be a ghost (albeit one with a powerful link to the living world).
Jack-O-Lanterns are said to be mischievous spirits or otherwise supernatural beings who travel the realm of twilight between the living and dead.
Stemming from Irish folklore, they are known for having carved out vegetable lanterns (like turnips or pumpkins) in their possession, which they use to light their way through the twilight. They also use these lanterns in attempts to lead travelers astray. But they are commonly seen as carved pumpkins.
A Will-O-Wisp is a race of spirits that appear as flickering flames that often lure people to alternate destinations or traps. Found in swamps and marshes, they are attributed to being a hope or goal that leads one on but is impossible to reach (as the Will-O-Wisp keeps moving out of reach).
- Main article: Vanishing Hitchhiker
The Vanishing Hitchhiker is an urban legend in which a person travelling by vehicle encounters a hitchhiker and offers them a ride to a destination. While appearing in all manner human, the hitchhiker subsequently vanishes without explanation during, immediately upon or after the conclusion of the trip; revealing themselves to have been a ghost.
- The sexual attraction to ghosts and the phenomenon of sexual encounters between ghosts and humans is known as "Spectrophilia".
- Ghost Marriage is a term used to refer to a marriage where one or both individuals are already deceased.