Grim Reapers (グリム・リーパー, Gurimu Rīpā) are a Pseudohuman Race that take the appearance of a human skeleton wearing a dark cloak and wielding a scythe. They are the most notable and recognized being of death.
Similar to Dullahan, they wield the power of death, and kill those whose time has come by touching them, causing them to drop dead instantly. Their jobs appear to be a more serious version of Dullahan's, taking overdue souls Dullahans and other death beings have failed to collect to the afterlife, most likely by force.
Physiological Attributes[edit | edit source]
- As beings that control the aspect of death itself, Grim Reapers have the ability to kill targets with a simple touch. They are widely feared for this ability, and media potrays them as evil monsters due to this.
- Grim Reapers are human skeletons that always don a dark cloak, and tend to move within the shadows, with their eyes being the only part of them remaining the same, glowing a piercing yellow. Nighttime is the best time to strike, in their opinions.
- Known for carrying a scythe to collect and send souls to the afterlife, Reapers can summon a scythe from thin air and can have it fade back out in an instant.
- Reapers do not kill at random, instead usually following a list, or taking a soul about the leave it's body if it's sensed nearby.
- It is unknown if it is possible to "Kill" a reaper, but striking one with it's own scythe or the scythe of another being of death will cause them to fade away into smoke.
Subspecies[edit | edit source]
Dullahan[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Dullahan
The Dullahan are a humanoid race that prominently appear in Irish folklore as supernatural harbingers of death.
Most commonly identified by their removable heads, it is currently unconfirmed whether the race does indeed have links to the supernatural or if their fabled powers are just mythological superstition.
Shinigami[edit | edit source]
Shinigami are a humanoid race that are said to be spirits stemming from Japanese mythology.
Known as "Death Gods", Shinigami were originally said to possess an individual and "lead" them to their death; usually through suicide. Shinigami are similar in nature to the European Grim Reapers or the Irish Dullahans; spirits responsible for the collection and shepherding of souls between the world of the living and the realm of the dead.
Shinigami are said to be involved in numerous aspects surrounding mortal death, in addition to "soul reaping", their duties include but are not limited to: recording lifespans of the living, acting as guides to souls unfamiliar with the afterlife, and recording the proceedings of Yama's court (where spirits are judged).
Members[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- One of The Eight Brothers is dating a dullahan girl. That same brother is currently hunted by a Grim Reaper.